Where the men are naked

Charcoal, coloured chalk, sketchpads, a fun environment and a naked man.
What more could you possibly want?

Saturday 10 May 2014

A grower - not a shower

In which a comment in my feedback book sparks off a bit of ego shrinkage

It's a good job I'm not overly self-conscious about how big I am, or anything like that.  Like most men, there have been times in my past when I've looked down and thought "just one more inch would be perfect" but on the whole I've felt pretty comfortable with everything.  So I was surprised when I took a look at my feedback book and saw this comment -


That's right.  It's the one in the top left corner.  Now, there's a very blurry line between arrogant self-aggrandisement and modest self-promotion when it comes to penis size, but in my line of work it's probably a good idea to keep clear of that whole topic unless I'm trying to be flippant.  And flippancy is definitely one of my skills, anyway.  So I'll make my jokes and laugh at all the deformed penises that turn up in the various drawings I see in an average art class.  But still... that gave me a momentary pause.

Had I been underwhelming that day?  Had it been particularly cold in the room?  Or had the girl simply made a mistake and mixed up the words "grower" and "shower"?  If it was that last one, I hope she picks her words more carefully in the bedroom, or she might inadvertently create some sort of emotional meltdown with a future date.

Either way, despite the momentary self doubt I was more amused than anything else.  Yes, I admit it, despite everything, my ego was still fragile enough to take a slight dent.  But I'd hardly be writing about it - here of all places - if I had been genuinely bruised.


Anyway, this was my second time at the Piper Bar - though, sadly, I had to do this one without Ragna.  She was back in Germany visiting family.  Which was a shame, because I really enjoyed working with her the previous time.

Last time at this venue, I set up near the windows, but this time I thought it would be better to set up on the main floor.  There was much better lighting there, and more space to move around - a far more flexible location.

When the class started, one of the girls asked me if I worked out.  Now, I'm under no illusions about my general physique - I'm never going to win any body-builder competitions.  But I've been really been stepping up an exercise regime in the last few months, and the results are finally starting to show a bit, so that was a good ego-boost.  Albeit a temporary one - the "grower" setback hadn't happened yet.


One of the really fun drawing challenges that I regularly use is the Straight-Lines one.  This is the point where a lot of the girls suddenly start creating some really cool and artistic pictures, and then start getting a lot more confidence in their skills.  There's automatically a lot less focus on realism and a lot more focus on suggesting body parts or gestures or anatomical details.  It also gives me a perfect excuse for subtracting points from people on a very flimsy pretext.  If I see a hint of a curved line, I'll point it out, accuse the girl of cheating and penalise her.



As usual, there were the usual flatteringly large (enormous) close-up pictures.  Both of which were drawn during the traditional Make-A-Giant-Man pose.  And as usual, I took full advantage of standing with those very pictures and encouraging the artists to come up and pose with me, taking full credit for their works of art.  The "scrotum cupping" girl was a particular high point of that feature.


I have a few regular jokes at these events.  One of them is even starting to bore me, but it usually gets a laugh from the girls, because they haven't heard it a hundred times before.  But there's always a moment when I see someone happily drawing a penis close-up and I'll pretend to be a bit confused and say "My nose doesn't look like that."

This time, one of the girls liked the nose/penis comparison, and suggested that I tear a hole in the middle of a picture of my face and stick my penis through it.  A couple of the other girls enthusiastically agreed and so I went for it.  And once again - just as I was carefully trying to keep the damage to the picture to an absolute minimum, one of the bar staff walked into the room.  This was her second interruption, but it was definitely her more embarrassing one.  I think she went scarlet and hurried straight through without slowing down.  She may even have sped up.



All in all, though - despite the ego pounding - another fun class.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Smoke

I made up a book of some of my pictures. Just in case anyone's interested. It's very expensive, but you can see and buy it at the Blurb website and you can get a preview of it here. Just the first fifteen pages, though. Consider it a teaser.